Brig. Gen. David J. Kumashiro is the Multi-Domain Command and Control Cross-Functional Team Lead within the Air Force Warfighting Integration Capability. He recently served as Director, Joint Force Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategy, Integration and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia.
General Kumashiro graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1992. He served in Air Mobility Command as a C-5A/B Galaxy evaluator pilot and in Air Combat Command as an RQ/MQ-1B Predator instructor pilot. He has commanded at various levels and has also served on the Joint Staff and at the Headquarters Air Force level. Prior to his current assignment, General Kumashiro was the Director, Air Force Executive Talent Management.
He is a command pilot with more than 3,500 hours in the C-17A, C-5A/B and the RQ/MQ-1.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Sciences, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2005 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, National War College, Distinguished Graduate, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2012 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2013 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Seminar XXI, Washington, D.C.
2018 Cyber Operations Executive Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 The Higher Command and Staff Course, Defence Academy of the United Kingdom, Shrivenham, U.K.
1. July 1992 - September 1993, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 84th and 85th Flying Training Squadrons, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. January 1994 - July 1997, C-5 Aircraft Commander, 3rd Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
3. July 1997 - May 1999, Air Force Intern, Secretary of the Air Force Staff Group and Joint Staff Logistics Readiness Center, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
4. May 1999 - July 2002, C-5 Evaluator Pilot, 22nd AS, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. July 2002 - July 2004, R/MQ-1B Predator Instructor Pilot, 15th Reconnaissance Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. August 2004 - June 2005, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 2005 - February 2008, Branch Chief, “Engine Room” Program Integration Division, Directorate of Programming, Deputy Chief of Staff, Strategic Plans and Programs, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. March 2008 - March 2010, Commander, 436th Operations Support Squadron, Dover AFB, Del. (July 2009 - January 2010, Deputy Commander, 332nd Expeditionary Operations Group, Joint Base Balad, Iraq)
9. March 2010 - July 2010, Deputy Commander, 436th Operations Group, Dover AFB, Del.
10. August 2010 - June 2011, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2011 - July 2013, Chief of Staff of the Air Force Fellow, with duty as Chief of Staff, Pakistan Afghanistan Coordination Cell, the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. July 2013 - June 2015, Commander, 62nd Airlift Wing, JB Lewis-McChord, Wash.
13. July 2015 - May 2018, Director, Air Force General Officer Management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. June 2018 - April 2019, Director, Air Force Executive Talent Management, Office of the Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. April 2019 - present, Director, Joint Force Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategy, Integration and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2011 - July 2013, CSAF Fellow, with duty as Chief of Staff, Pakistan Afghanistan Coordination Cell, the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,500
Aircraft flown: C-17A, C-5A/B and RQ/MQ-1
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2007
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Sept. 22, 2017
(Current as of April 2019)